President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said Russians will continue not going to work while receiving pay until the end of the month to combat the coronavirus.”I’ve taken a decision to extend the period of non-working days until April 30,” Putin said in an address, adding that each region can decide what lockdown measures are needed.Since Monday Russians have had a period of national non-working days when they are still entitled to full pay in a bid to reduce transmission of the virus. Topics : Regional authorities should take decisions on what needs to be shut down based on the “objective situation” while ensuring people’s safety, Putin said.He said Russia will take further measures and it was possible the period of non-working days could be reduced if the situation improves.Russia currently has 3,548 confirmed cases and 30 deaths have been announced. In his second televised address on Russia’s response to the virus, Putin said that in Moscow “so far it has not been possible to turn around the situation despite the measures taken by federal and city authorities.”The capital city with more than 12 million inhabitants has seen the most cases so far.Moscow has been under lockdown since Monday with all but essential shops closed and residents told to stay at home.”The threat remains” Putin said, with the peak of the pandemic still to come both globally and in Russia.
Engineering and technology development company 4c Engineering is finalizing tank testing activities on its Sea Power Platform at the FloWave test facility in Edinburgh.The team from 4c Engineering has over the last couple of weeks been assessing power conversion performance on a scale model of the Sea Power Platform in a variety of sea states being replicated at FloWave test tank.The work is being carried out as part of Wave Energy Scotland’s Novel Wave Energy Converter project, where 4c Engineering is leading the technology development work in partnership with Sea Power.Andy Hall, Mechanical Engineer and Director at 4C Engineering, said: “Throughout this testing we’ve been recording data to show how efficiently the Sea Power Platform can convert energy in the waves to mechanical energy to be used in the generation of electricity.“Each test logs the motion of the device, the profile of the waves, forces, torques, positions and pressures. Using MATLAB, we analyse the data immediately after each test run to check we’ve successfully measured everything that we need. Often we can only decide which run to carry out next once we have the processed data so it’s vital to have a quick, reliable process in place.“As our testing draws to a close we’ve got plenty of work ahead analysing all the data we’ve logged and using it to guide future development of the wave energy converter.”The Sea Power Platform is a two-body wave energy converter that has been under development since 2008.The converter is classified as a floating attenuator device with energy extracted via the relative flex motion of the two bodies about a hinged joint. A power take-off (PTO) system extracts power by damping the flex motion of the device, according to Wave Energy Scotland.To remind, the Scottish wave body supported the testing activities with £700,000 as part of the Attenuator Cost of Energy Reduction (ACER2) project, which received funding back in spring 2017.Aside from 4C Engineering and Sea Power, other project partners include FloWave, 4c Design, Offshore Subsea Consultancy Services, and Ideality.The second stage of Wave Energy Scotland’s NWEC program is expected to run until fall 2018.
Both the 7th and 8th Grade Lady Eagles came away victorious Thursday night.The 7th were lead in scoring by Strunk 11, Weber 7, Richter 6, Veerkamp 4, Jones, Harmeyer, and Neal each with 2. The won 34-19.The 8th Grade came away with the tip, a steal, and a basket to not look back. The were ahead 19-2 at the end of the first. They went to the locker room up 31-5 at halftime. Working the ball around to each other and great ball movement saw them increase the lead to 40-12 at the of 3. They worked even better together in the 4th and ended with a 54-14 win. Scoring for the Eagles were Williams 18, Newhart 9, Rider 8, Fullmer 7, Cullen 6, C. Simon, Cobler, & Wilhoit each with 2.They will be in action again on Monday night at South Ripley.Courtesy of Eagles Coach Lisa Horn.
Jim Thies put his name on the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot with his $1,000 IMCA Modified feature win at Park Jefferson Speedway’s Memorial Clash. (Photo by Jim Steffens) Stock Cars – 1. Jesse Sobbing; 2. Justin Luinenburg; 3. Austin Brauner; 4. Dan Mackenthun; 5. Marty Steinbach; 6. Glen Jones; 7. Curt Vanbeek; 8. Austin Jahnz; 9. Tony Ritterbush; 10. Jason Fisher; 11. Paul Wenzlaff; 12. Trevor Holm; 13. Ryan Harris; 14. Todd Gereau; 15. Brenton Palmer; 16. Andrea McCain; 17. Kyren Porter; 18. Tom Schumann; 19. Cade Richards; 20. Greg Taylor; 21. Travis Barker; 22. Bo Lundquist; 23. Casey Jones; 24. Daniel Eckblad; 25. Mike Nichols; 26. Thomas Ahrndt. They got to cheer for him again Saturday night, as Thies scored his first IMCA Modified feature win of the season. The Memorial Clash checkers paid $1,000 and put the Mapleton, Iowa, hotshoe on the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot. JEFFERSON, S.D. (May 23) – Fans at Park Jefferson Speedway have been cheering for Jim Thies since he started racing some 27 years ago. Jesse Sobbing rushed out to an early lead and fended off challenges by Justin Luinenburg in winning the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car main. Austin Brauner was third. Modifieds – 1. Jim Thies; 2. Shane DeMey; 3. Chris Mills; 4. Bob Moore; 5. Anthony Roth; 6. Jeff Berens; 7. Ricky Stephan; 8. Jason Schneiders; 9. Devon Schlumbohm; 10. Sean Barragan; 11. Chad Porter; 12. Shawn Bearce; 13. Jim Cole; 14. Andy Eickhoff; 15. Matt Bonine; 16. Josh Rogotzke; 17. Jim Mathieson; 18. Jason Hickingbottom; 19. Travis Hatcher. The victory, his career 32nd in the class, came in Thies’ sixth start close to home after starting the season in Texas. After chalking up a single-season best six wins last year, he won on Saturday aboard a new Razor and ahead of DeMey, Mills, Bob Moore and Anthony Ross. Feature Results “It’s nice when you can still get it done when you’re this old,” said Thies, who held off Shane DeMey and Chris Mills following a late restart in the flag-to-flag run. “It’s always fun to win.” And Spring Nationals winner Malik Sampson returned to collect bookend hardware, besting Kevin Bruck and Brandon Nielsen in the IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock feature. Hobby Stocks – 1. Malik Sampson; 2. Kevin Bruck; 3. Brandon Nielsen; 4. Matt Olson; 5. Gavin Gilbertson; 6. Corey Gronewold; 7. Andrew Harris; 8. Wes Jahnz; 9. Blake Luinenburg; 10. Cory Probst; 11. Jeremy Ziemke; 12. Carl Monroe; 13. Jamie Bruce; 14. Tanner Dowty; 15. Keegan Sampson; 16. Andy Hoffman; 17. Scott Porter; 18. Craig Clift; 19. Troy Dowty; 20. David Bates; 21. Jordan Robinson; 22. Lowell Janssen; 23. Charles Bartels; 24. Ryan Gilland.
Zimbabwe got off to a shaky start and lost opener Raza (10) early on before Taylor joined Hamilton Masakadza at the crease and they began to put some runs on the board. But Masakadza (21) lost his wicket and then Williams (16) followed him – leaving his side on 78 for three. Taylor, who was now joined by Vusi Sibanda, then started to pile the runs on and hit two fours and two sixes before Sibanda (16) fell first victim to Dockrell’s bowling as he was caught by Sorensen. Taylor hit three fours in the next over before losing his wicket in the following one, as Joyce caught him to his right at deep extra cover for Dockrell’s second wicket. That left Elton Chigumbura (22 not out) and Timycen Maruma (13no) to see out their innings. The Irish announced their arrival on the world stage with a March 17 victory over Pakistan seven years ago and had spoken of repeating the feat against more established opponents again. After being set 164 for victory, they looked like they would reach their total comfortably with man of the match Paul Stirling hitting 60 off 34 balls. Ireland won a dramatic World Twenty20 clash against Zimbabwe with a bye off the final ball as they got their campaign off to a victorious start on St Patrick’s Day. But after losing two wickets in the final over, Ireland’s luck was almost running out before Alex Cusack ran on a bye on the last ball and Zimbabwe skipper Brendan Taylor failed to hit the stumps, with Stuart Thompson colliding with a Zimbabwe fielder as the Irish claimed a three-wicket win in the Group B clash in Sylhet. Ireland got off to a flying start with William Porterfield and fellow opener Stirling putting on 80 for the first wicket before captain Porterfield (31) was out as Sean Williams made the breakthrough for Zimbabwe. Stirling continued to impress and was joined at the crease by Ed Joyce but was then caught by Sikandar Raza off Tendai Chatara’s bowling after Ireland reached their ton, to leave them 100 for two midway through their innings. Andrew Poynter joined Joyce out in the middle and managed 23 runs off 15 balls before Tinashe Panyangara took his first wicket and next up was Gary Wilson, who was out for a duck leaving Ireland 129 for four after their wobble. In the 18th over, Kevin O’Brien (17) hit two fours and a six before losing his wicket. Panyangara claimed his final victim in the final over as he bowled Joyce two balls before Max Sorensen was run out for a duck, but the Irish hung on for the win off the last ball. Panyangara finished with figures of four for 37. Earlier, Taylor scored an impressive 59 off 46 balls to help mount a respectable total of 163 for five after Porterfield won the toss and put Zimbabwe in to bat, with George Dockrell taking two for 18. Press Association
“I signed a contract here because I know what the club is capable of. And I know I will improve at the club.” Shaw was speaking alongside fellow new boy Ander Herrera, who signed from Athletic Bilbao earlier this summer. The Spaniard is also looking forward to the challenge of trying to become a first-team regular at Old Trafford. “I will miss my friends and my family but I think that I am ready for this step,” the midfielder said. “It’s a big step for me but I am happy for this chance and I think that this is the right moment to come to the biggest club in the world.” New Manchester United defender Luke Shaw insists he will not buckle under the pressure of playing for a club that he believes is the biggest in the world. To succeed Evra, who was also a big influence in the dressing room, seems a tall order for a player who has only just turned 19, but Shaw does not seem fazed at all. “I don’t feel any pressure to come in for Evra,” Shaw said on the eve of United’s first pre-season game against the Los Angeles Galaxy. “He has been great for the club for the last 10 years and I hope I can carry that on. “I will just try to focus on my own game, what I do on the pitch. “I’m looking forward to trying to impress the new gaffer.” Shaw’s arrival at United had been something of a surprise given that he had supported Chelsea, who were also interested in his signature, since he was young. Most of Shaw’s family are Blues fans too, but the left-back, who only made his full Premier League debut in November 2012, is convinced he made the right decision. “Manchester United is the biggest club and it will push me to do my best,” said the defender, who was part of England’s World Cup squad this summer. Shaw became the most expensive teenager in history when he moved to United from Southampton for an initial fee of £27million last month. Just three weeks after Shaw’s arrival, United sold Patrice Evra, the France international who had been the club’s first-choice left-back for eight years. Press Association
IT rained goals on Friday evening; fifteen to be precise, as the Petra organized Corona Invitational tournament continued at the Georgetown Football Club Ground (GFC) with a triple-header.Beacons were the team to get the slaughter fest going with a 7-0 drubbing of Black Pearl FC in the opening game.Darian Dickson blasted open the gates for the Beacons side in the 17th minute and the eventual winners never looked back; Quasan Mc Aulay and Kimba Braithwaithe each netting in the first half.The scoring continued in the second half with Mc Aulay and Dickson scoring in the 47th and 50th respectively while Patrick Joseph and Keifer Brandy in the 76th and 81st sounded out the deal when the whistle went for the final time.The second game featured Pele and Flamingo in an age old rivalry, but it was the youth of the Pele side that saw them take the three points.Stephon Hussain opened the scoring in the 27th and allowed Thairys Payne to add the second as the half ended 2-0. On the return, Dorwin George in the 71st made it three before Hussain added his second and the fourth of the game in the 75th and Mark Jahju wrapped things up in the 76th.Game three saw Northern Rangers upsetting Santos 3-0 after an early lead was squandered.Quincy Madramatoo and Stevie Sankar overturned Santos lead in the second half (74th and 85th) while an own goal gave the Rangers their third. Santos had Kacy John on target in the 22nd.Matches continue today with Riddim Squad taking on East Veldt from 15:00hrs while Western Tigers play Camptown and Police tackle hosts GFC.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories DEVIL’S X: Faceoffs doom Syracuse as Duke beats Orange 16-10 in national championship gameLamolinara’s strong title-game performance not enough to lift Syracuse past DukeWilson: Seniors Marasco, Megill leave behind polished legacy despite loss in championship gameDuke’s plethora of offensive weapons one-ups Syracuse at own game PHILADELPHIA — For 15 minutes in Monday’s national championship Kevin Rice sat behind the net, surgically dissecting the Duke defense.Syracuse charged out to a 5-0 lead, including a near-flawless four-goal first quarter. Rice scored a goal and dished out a pair of assists, igniting the SU faithful that turned out in droves at Lincoln Financial Field. The game was far from over, but Syracuse just needed to keep it up.“We had the early lead in the game, and we were feeling good about things,” SU head coach John Desko said, “but we were smart enough to know it’s a game of runs.”The brilliant opening frame wouldn’t hold. The No. 7 Blue Devils (16-5) embarked on a 12-1 run to silence the Orange fans that made up much of the 28,244 in attendance for Monday’s national championship and stun top-seeded SU (16-4) with a 16-10 victory. But for 15 minutes the Orange reminded the nation why it was the No. 1 seed. The offense has so many weapons and so often executes to perfection.The offense oftentimes starts with Rice. When JoJo Marasco gets shut off — a popular tactic late in the season as teams double- or triple-teamed the midfielder — the keys to the offense were placed in Rice’s hands.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOn Monday, the game started with Rice, too. He stood in his usual position behind the net before coming to the left doorstep. A double team came and attack Billy Ward was left open for an easy goal and a 1-0 lead.“(The coaches) really knew that from day one that we had a very well-rounded offense and very smart,” Marasco said, “and they really were able to work — try a lot of new things with us.”Less than a minute later, the Duke defense adjusted. Rice again wrapped around the net, but this time an extra defender never came. Rice beat Chris Hipps one-on-one to give Syracuse a 2-0 lead less than six minutes into the game.Another minute later, attack Dylan Donahue used a pump fake to freeze Duke goaltender Kyle Turri and scored to put the Orange up 3-0.“Once they started rotating, that’s our offense’s bread and butter is picking apart a rotating defense,” Rice said. “I think we were doing that very well in the first quarter.”While the offense was putting on a clinic in the opening frame, the rest of the team followed suit. Goalie Dominic Lamolinara stopped all four shots he saw. Syracuse outshot the Blue Devils, converted 5-of-6 clears, won seven ground balls and scored on half of its extra-man opportunities. The Orange even managed to hold Duke midfielder Brendan Fowler, one of the best faceoff men in the country, to just a 60-40 split at the X.Another assist from Rice, this time to midfielder Luke Cometti, capped SU’s brilliant first quarter. Everything that could’ve gone wrong for the Blue Devils in the opening frame did. But they found a way to adjust.“We basically said that we needed to play Duke lacrosse over the next 30 minutes,” Duke head coach John Danowski said. “I don’t know what we did in that first 15.”After Syracuse scored two of the first three goals in the second quarter, the Blue Devils ended the first half on a 4-0 run of its own.“Nobody scripts being down 4-0 or 5-0,” Danowski said, “and inside I think we were all freaking out.“I think getting back to 6-5 helped everybody. I think we were settled down at halftime.”The Orange’s offense lost any and all rhythm. With just one faceoff win combined in the second and third quarters, possessions were scarce and execution suffered. SU stopped taking its time and turned the ball over 11 times throughout the game.They were possessions Syracuse couldn’t afford to squander. The Blue Devils broke the game open in the third quarter. They scored five goals and won all seven faceoffs, but the Orange still got possessions off Blue Devil misses and four turnovers.Still, when SU needed to make them pay, it couldn’t. The offense that operated so brilliantly for 15 minutes was a shell of its former self, and it left room for the Blue Devil comeback.“We probably had the ball two or three times, and we threw it away a couple of those times,” Rice said, “and we really needed to be more patient when we did get it.” Comments Published on May 27, 2013 at 8:49 pm Contact David: email@example.com | @DBWilson2
Loyola Marymount proved to be no match for the Women of Troy, as the sand volleyball team defeated the Lions 5-0 at Annenberg’s Community Beach House on Saturday. The win improved USC’s record to 5-1, and dropped Marymount to 0-3.It was the second time the Trojans defeated the Lions, as both teams met earlier this month in a momentous first match for both schools in USC’s brand-new NCAA sport. USC also took the win that day, winning every single match in a 5-0 sweep over the Lions.In Saturday’s second matchup between the two teams, USC did not drop a single set during the morning’s team games and won all five matches in doubles play.USC’s No. 4 team of senior Kendall Bateman and sophomore Sam Hirschmann took the first win with a 21-8, 21-10 score, and USC’s squad of freshman Kati Duddridge and graduate student Megan Thornberry quickly followed, defeating the Lions 21-7 and 21-11.USC’s No. 1 team of sophomore Sarah Shaw and graduate student Geena Urango then defeated Marymount’s Litara Keil and Betsi Metter with scores of 21-12 and 22-20.The afternoon’s pairs tournament saw Shaw and Urango defeat Bateman and Hirshmann in the quarterfinals with scores of 21-15, 21-17.They went on to win their next two matches in the semi-finals and finals, ultimately defeating USC sophomore Kirby Burnham and graduate student Kelly Irvin to claim the doubles championship of the day.Loyola Marymount’s only victory of the match came in the pairs quarterfinals, with Marymount’s Keil and Metter beating USC’s Duddridge and Thornberry with scores of 21-19 and 22-20.USC next visits Pepperdine on April 7, and will prepare to compete in the USA Volleyball Beach Collegiate Challenge in the coming weeks.